Dr. Ann O’Shea and Dr. Ciarán Mac an Bhaird (Department of Mathematics and Statistics) are delighted to announce (December 2017) the publication of the Conference Proceedings
of ALM 23, Numeracy: A Critical Skill in Adult Education.
The proceedings are a combination of both peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed articles from ALM 23 which was hosted by Maynooth University in July 2016. ALM 23 was attended by researchers, practitioners and policymakers from 12 different countries. It included a special all group symposium on ‘national and international perspectives on policies for and models of numeracy’.
Drs O’Shea and Mac an Bhaird stated that ‘The Proceedings will be of interest on a national and international stage. They will have a particular resonance locally as Maynooth University has an outstanding reputation for its Access, Disability and Mature Student programmes. Furthermore, Maynooth University will include ‘Widening Participation’ as one of the key tenets in its new strategic plan.’
Numeracy: A Critical Skill in Adult Education
Maynooth, Ireland, July 3rd – July 6th, 2016
Titles and Abstracts for all presentations, and most actual presentations are available.
Created with flickr slideshow.
The Three Day Conference Focused on the Following Themes:
- Numeracy: A Critical Skill in Adult Education.
- The Language of Mathematics, and Language and Mathematics.
- Adults Learning Mathematics: Research, Practice and Policy
We were delighted to welcome the following distinguished keynote speakers.
- Inez Bailey, Director of NALA, the National Adult Literacy Agency.
- Professor Raymond Flood, Gresham College.
- Professor Núria Planas, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Professor John O’Donoghue, Professor Emeritus University of Limerick.
- Professor Katherine Safford-Ramus, Saint Peter’s University, the Jesuit College of New Jersey
The following organisations provided funding towards ALM 23:
- 3U Partnership
- The Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Maynooth University
- Fáilte Ireland
- Maynooth University
- Meet in Ireland
- National Adult Literacy Agency
- The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- The Irish Mathematical Society